Having recently returned from an all inclusive holiday to Menorca, I couldn’t help, but notice a number of things that us Brits seemingly love to do on an all inclusive holiday.
Some of them are funny, some are plain weird, and some of them I even do myself!
So here are 10 things all Brits do on an all inclusive holiday!
- Clap when the plane lands – Why do us Brits do this? I’m not sure if other nationalities do this too, but I find it pretty funny! On our recent holiday, people on the plane even clapped the Captains Announcement of how long our flight would be! Some people on the plane joined in with the clapping with sheer enthusiasm, whilst others hung their heads in embarrassment! Others joined in way too loudly adding in the occasional head nod purely to mock those who’d started the clapping in the first place!
- Turn into warriors! Sunbed warriors that is! You’re on holiday, looking forward to relaxing by the pool, but before any of that relaxing can take place you have to set your alarm for 5.30am, lay out your towels the night before and join the queue to put your towels down to reserve your subbed for the day! If you don’t join the 6am queue, you can forget any chance of bagging yourself a sunbed!
- Eat more than our body weight in food. Breakfast everyday consists of copious amounts of toast, sausages, bacon, scrambled, tomatoes and beans, followed by desert! Who normally has dessert after breakfast? Well, on holiday you do! Sugary donuts, pastries and fruit roll things! Lunch is a plate piled high followed by two or more huge slices of cake. Then you have dinner which closely resembles lunch, yet somehow we still find enough room to pile our plates equally as high as we did at lunch time and eat even more dessert!
- Make friends with another Brit family and complain about the same things, mainly having to get up at ridiculous o’clock to bag a sun bed!
- Not go to the welcome meeting. Seriously, who actually goes to these? What is the point in it? I just want to get on with my holiday, not spend an hour listening to a teenager barely out of high school waffle on about what they can offer.
- Moan about the entertainment and how you’re not going to watch it, but then spend every evening making sure you get the best seats so your view of the stage isn’t blocked, and then clapping along to ABBA’s greatest hits!
- Join in with the entertainment. Us Brits love a moan, but we also love to have fun, even though the things we do on holiday we’d never do back home. Give your bra to a stranger so they can collect as many as they can to win a pint? Yeah, why not! Seems like a good idea when your holiday!
- Build the best sandcastle possible and get way too involved, even going as far as to give your children artistic pointers about the best place for their sandcastle and then getting upset when your children decide to stamp all over your work of art!
- Buy cheap souvenirs. A tea towel with a map of Menorca on, a bracelet with Santo Thomas emblazoned it, why not! You’re on holiday!
- Finally, resent having to get up early to catch your flight, even though you’ve been setting your alarm early all week to reserve a sunbed!